Hawksbill Mountain’s 2.5-mile out and back trail leads to stunning 360-degree views of mountains, gorges and rivers. From the parking lot, the trail climbs about 700 ft through Pisgah Forest. Some sites describe it as strenuous others as moderate. It is rooty, rocky and angled in sections but as soon as the summit is reached, any hiking difficulties fade away becoming replaced with feelings of awe at the indescribable beauty.
The terrain levels out on top where it splits into two. trails. We adventured to the left first then to the right each revealing better views of Linville Gorge. Make sure to walk both.
We took photographs on the overhanging rocks and stood in awe admiring the panorama surrounding us. We visited on August 12, 2022. I was thankful it was a clear and beautiful day allowing visibility for miles and miles.
- Newati Trail, NC
- Tanawha Trail – Viaduct to Stacked Rock, NC
- The Linn Cove Viaduct and Tanawha Trail
- Rough Ridge along the Tanawha Trail
- Hawksbill Mountain
- Grandfather Mountain State Park
- The Cone Manor
- Flat Top Mountain Trail
- Wilson Creek, Philips Branch Falls, Harper Creek Falls
- Upper Creek Falls
- Jane Bald via Apalachian Trail
- Jones Falls, Elk Falls